Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Photoshoot: The Berkeley Carroll School




I have a long happy history with the Berkeley Carroll School in Brooklyn. My son, Benjamin, attended BCS from the 2nd grade thorough high school; my nephew, Henry, attends BCS Middle School, and this year I have been hired to photograph events and shoot candids at the school for their print and website.

I love The Berkeley Carroll School. When Ben was in school, I was in the PA, went on many trips with the little kiddies (learned right quick to take Ibuprofen before getting on the bus), served on many committees and, in the last years, was a proud Parent Ambassador.

So when word went out that the school was looking for a photographer, I jumped at the chance, and I’ve been enjoying myself ever since. I hadn’t been back at the school since Ben graduated in 2000, so walking the halls, seeing old faces, catching up with people, and making new friends and acquaintances has been very rewarding. Most of all, though, photographing the kids has been pure joy. Brings back all the memories, particularly when shooting the sports events. My first assignment for the BCS was to shoot a soccer game! Wow. Like I hadn’t done that thousands of times before? This time, however, my heart wasn’t in my mouth each time someone from the opposing team took a shot on goal and I was able to concentrate on the task at hand. This week I shot the school play, “Snow Angel”, that the MS kids are putting on, opening tonight. These kids are too cute for words, and happily a picture tells a thousand words, and all I have to do is show, not tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment